The Académie d’Architecture started life in 1840 as the Société Central des Architectes (SCA). This was three years after its analogue in England, the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA), and seventeen years before the American Institute of Architects. The SCA changed its name to the Académie d’Architecture in 1953. All three are the leading professional organizations in their countries, but the name Académie sets the French one apart as more a learned society than a professional organization.
Professor Levine was awarded the medal in June and was kind enough to supply us with a recounting of the event:
"The ceremony took place on 20 June at the Maison de l’Architecture in Paris, in the stark, disaffected chapel of the former seventeenth-century Monastery of les Récollets that the Maison partially occupies. That afternoon event was followed by a very elaborate and elegant dinner at the headquarters of the Académie d’Architecture itself, which is located in the Hôtel de Chaulnes on the seventeenth-century Place des Vosges.
The medal is awarded 'to an historian of art, French or foreign, for an important body of work of an exceptional quality.' It is apparently made of gilded silver."