Charles L. Kuhn
Curator and Director of Busch-Reisinger Museum, 1930-1968; Professor of Fine Arts, 1949-1953
Charles Kuhn (1902-1985) acted as curator and director of the the Busch-Reisinger Museum from 1930 to 1968. Professor Kuhn acquired many works removed from display in Germany for the Museum, including Max Beckmann's ''Self-Portrait in Tuxedo,'' Erich Heckel's ''To the Convalescent Woman'' and E. L. Kirchner's ''Self-Portrait With a Cat.'' He worked with Walter Gropius, the founder of the Bauhaus school, after his arrival at Harvard in 1938 to collect the works of Bauhaus colleagues such as Josef and Anni Albers, Laszlo Moholy-Nagy and Lyonel Feininger. Mr. Kuhn also headed the Harvard Department of Fine Arts from 1949 to 1953.